Friday, October 1, 2010

Pre-Planning Sinning?

Today was a series of epiphanies, it started at work moved on to a brief conversation I had with a friend and concluded with a much longer discussion with my mom, where I was trying to make sense of it all. There’s a connection between it all I know it but for whatever reason I’m missing it, perhaps if I tell someone it’ll all click into place.

After work I had texted a couple of my friends and said how it never ceased to amaze me how quickly 3:30 in the morning comes. The general gist of that conversation with my friend was her telling me to take better care of myself and me saying I would except homework was taking me forever to complete.

I was thinking about that though and called up my mom to bounce the idea of her - if you’re staying up all hours of the night and day doing homework, are you really obeying the word of wisdom? I got the early to rise part down pat, the early to bed not so much. Aside from it being counterproductive because it takes you three times longer to grasp the concepts when you’re tired, it wouldn’t be too off base to say you’re also breaking a commandment.

How can you repent of that though when you intend to keep doing it throughout the semester? You try your best to get all your homework done during the normal hours of the day but it inevitably cuts into your sleeping time. Then you have to choose whether or not you stay up and finish your homework and don’t get enough sleep or go to bed and get enough sleep but don’t turn in your homework. You’re stuck between a rock and a hard place, either way you can’t win.

You could repent at the end of your college experience but would it actually have the same effect? It’s not exactly pre-planned sinning but close enough.

We’re going to have to account for everything we said, did and thought while we’re down here and trying to explain why you weren’t getting enough sleep in college is going to take some work. However you explain it, it’ll still sound lame. So in the mean time, what do you do?


1 comment:

  1. Aren't we glad we don't have to be the judge (of ourselves or anyone else)?

    ReplyDelete