Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Nowhere, USA...

Nowhere, USA

1.) The mind numbing boredom, depression, and insignificantes experienced while one is alone, has feelings of being alone, or has nothing to do with their time while being anywhere in the United States of America.

2.) To inform or remind someone that they are mind numbingly boring, depressing, and insignificant while being anywhere in the United States of America.

3.) Living in a sparse, isolated, uninteresting area of the United States of America.

1.) Nowhere USA: Population-Me

2.) Nowhere USA: Population-YOU

I bring this up because I had a recent job interview in Vernal - I'd been talking to a friend about it and she asked me if I'd seriously move to Vernal or Roosevelt (which is where the job actually is). I assured her that I would - I'll go where ever the job takes me, a job is a job at this point and I really don't care. Plus I had a friend from Roosevelt and he always raved about how it was the best thing since sliced cheese. To say it was a disappointment was putting it mildly - it was not at all what I was expecting, I'm not sure what I was expecting exactly but certainly not what I found. Blackfoot at least had a giant baked potato in front of its town office building, Roosevelt had an old drive through - it was so sad.

I'd left early in the morning from Bountiful, it was a little overcast but clear, three and a half hours later I was in Vernal - along the way I'd driven through the snowy mountains and the bone dry desert, the extremes were incredible. I got to Duchesne first, it had a population of 1800, then it was Roosevelt population 5600 and then finally Vernal with a population just over 10,000, Maser and Naples were close by. Suddenly it was all beginning to make sense - my friend's attitude I mean - Elizabeth population 1600 must have seemed so small town compared to Roosevelt, it was so backwoodsy, barbaric and podunk for him; no wonder he was so.... irritating when he first moved into the area. The redeeming factor to Elizabeth though is that you can drive half hour, hour and be somewhere a lot bigger - in Roosevelt you can't. The biggest store in Vernal is a Walmart - his whole cowboy/hick wannabe, guns and jeeps persona made a lot more sense now.

I'm fine living in a small town but that small town needs to be close to a much bigger town - like within an hour driving distance and Vernal/Roosevelt would definitely be pushing it.

The interview was fine - I won't know for 2-4 weeks what the final verdict is though. While I was waiting for the interview to start, I got asked my least favorite question: "Are you married?" "Do you have any kids?" I ask you, what does my marital status have to do with whether or not I can do the job you're interviewing me for? The two are not related, at all. Though since I've gotten that question a couple of times I'm thinking about buying a ring and inventing some guy that I can be engaged to or something.

I can see some pro's to this job and moving to that general area but I can see some con's as well. It was never in my hands, it's always been in the Lord's hands but if it be His will that I'm condemned to social Siberia for the next several years, well................... okay. I've never been that social, but I'd at least like to pretend and I was hoping that with getting a job I'd be turning over a new leave and such. But if I get this job, that wouldn't really be possible - it'd be like moving to Wyoming. Still on the other hand; I'd have plenty of time to myself, time to explore my hobbies and interests, time to travel, time to do whatever I want to do and the space to do it in, except meet people. If I got the job, I'd stick around for a couple of years, get some solid work experience and then start looking for something else.

Let's just say I won't be heart broken if they don't get back to me, and if they do - well, the Lord knows best and maybe it'll turn out okay in the end.

1 comment:

  1. I have cousins in Vernal.
    They like it there, and I'm sure you'd get used to it.
    =)

    ReplyDelete