He actually started having problems on Thursday when I was in Logan for a job interview. I'd pulled into the bookstore went inside for a couple of minutes, came back out and he wouldn't start. Someone gave me a jump and I was on my way again.
I got to where the interview was fine, went in, participated in a group interview (I'd done one before so I knew kind of what to expect) went back out and he wouldn't start. I got another jump but it didn't do any good, a second guy came over just looked at the car and he started right up no problems - I was disgusted, thrilled but disgusted.
More so when I went to Big O Tire, he behaved perfectly and the technician looked at me like I was stupid or something (brought back lots of memories of high school when I'd tell Dad there was something wrong with the car and he could never find it because the car would never misbehave when he drove it - what a naughty car). They told me my battery was low - I'd gotten my battery replaced about a year and a half ago at Auto Zone so I went back over there.
Auto Zone told me that my battery was fine and that my starter sounded atrocious and that it would need to be fixed. He quoted me a two to three hundred dollar price range to get it fixed, at which point I remembered how a couple of years previously Dad had handed me a starter and had told me it was going out and would need to be replaced. So I asked the guy about that - he said it would be in the hundred and twenty dollar price range still.
At which point I remembered I have a brother-in-law who would probably do it for me if I asked nicely, he agreed to do it on Monday (the very same day my car died).
Friday he was fine - went into work and then down to Salt Lake no problems. From Salt Lake I left with friends to go down to Cedar City for the weekend. There was a homecoming one of the gals wanted to go to and she needed to drop stuff off at home. While there, we shot 22's and 30-30's - I hadn't shot before really, so I wasn't sure what to expect. There was a lot more kick than I thought there would be and I have lovely bruise on my arm. Then we went rappelling and I got to try ascending - that was a lot harder than it looks. All in all it was a good weekend, even with getting sun burnt. The only down side was listening to the three of them trying to one up each other and prove how smart they were (the same happened when I went Zion's too, I guess it's just what we do).
Sunday night when I got back, I got another jump and was on my way to Bountiful. Monday morning, he wouldn't start. At all. Even with the jump - I guess the jump was pointless since it wasn't the battery that was the problem. And it was raining. Hard.
My brother-in-law dropped me off at work and I took the bus back to Bountiful. I can get to work in half an hour, the bus schedule said it'd take an hour and forty-five minutes - it took me three and a half hours. I was not happy. I'd printed out my bus route, made the first two transfers okay but missed my third stop - I hiked back eleven blocks or so to where I was suppose to be and caught my bus soon after.
That night my brother-in-law and I exchanged starters in the car - when I first turned him on again it was like music to my ears. He LIVED! After a minor surgery, he was alive once more. The wind still whistles through the window cause it won't shut properly, he still backfires when I slow down, the clock is still blinking at me and the belts still squeal till he warms up but he was alive and positively purring! I was so happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment