When I got back from work Sunday morning I discover this huge blister - it's about half the size of my fist. My first reaction was "Ewww" followed quickly by "Owww." I couldn't find any gauze so I put a big band-aid on it and went to church or rather limped through church. By that time it was hurting a lot and it had started to leak liquid down my leg.
When I got home from church I decided we needed to do something with it because I had to go to work the next day and I couldn't have my scrubs bothering it. Dad took me to Urgent Care, where they were like "What did you do?" The guy taking my vitals asked me is I was a medical student, I told him no and he said that was good because I would've needed to go back to school if I was because obviously I didn't learn anything from class.
They removed the dead tissue, it's now about the size of my fist - it's truly gross, I didn't think I was that squeamish until they started removing the tissue, put a salve on it followed by a non-stick gauze bandage, a regular gauze bandage and then wrapped the whole thing up in a gauze wrap.
They gave me a prescription for pain medication, which has thus far been pretty useless, told me to change the bandage twice daily, drink plenty of liquids and sent me on my merry way.

When I got home, I called work up told them that I wouldn't be coming in tomorrow or rather today - I have a second degree burn on my leg, it's swollen, it's painful and I'm limping around and they told me I wasn't on the schedule. Well, according to my schedule I was - no matter, I took some pain medicine and went to bed.
Woke up this morning at 11:30 and have been working on miscellaneous projects ever since - the swelling does appear to have gone down quite a bit but my leg is still very sore and I'm still limping. Either way though I have to go to work tomorrow - I have two days left in the showers before my replacement takes over and copping out at this point isn't good form. Of course calling in yesterday wasn't good form either but there was no way I was going to make it through ten hours of bathing people - to my credit I haven't called in before and I did give them ten hours notice.
Tomorrow sure will be interesting though - ten hours in the showers and then six hours later turning around and doing another sixteen hours at my other nursing home - oh joy. Aside from getting some much needed rest, sleeping in was good - I slept in Saturday morning because I didn't have work Friday night but beyond that I don't remember when the last time I slept in was.
So, the moral of the story is... use sunscreen frequently.
I'm impressed; did you actually use sunscreen? Try wrapping it in saran wrap when you go to work.
ReplyDeleteyes but I didn't reapply till four hours later by then the damage was done - the first time through I forgot my legs because my pants were covering them but I got them the second time
ReplyDeleteOuch! That blister looks GROSS!
ReplyDelete