Friday, October 26, 2012

A Moral Dilemma....

In my Human Growth and Development class we've been talking about adolescence and sex. It was so funny, the first week or so of class my teacher was like, "How can you be a human being and be embarrassed about conception or birth? We were all there!" Made me laugh.

With the unit we're currently studying, it's been talking about adolescence and how some teens are "driven" to commit suicide because they see no other alternative to fixing their problem - whatever it may be. I had to pause at that and think about it - suicide is so permanent. We can't undo anything but we can fix it and move on - cutting, eating disorders, body modifications, etc, etc - we can't move on from suicide, once we're dead we're dead. Such a permanent "solution" to a temporary problem that has eternal consequences. For people in general and especially teenagers and young adults, suicide is wrong but, I think there can be extenuating circumstances where it might be okay.

And by that I mean, doctor assisted suicide in terminally ill patients. I don't hold with pillow therapy though - that's just wrong. I know the church's stance - don't do it, the Lord is very concerned with how we enter and how we leave this world - I get that. But - when quality of life has been compromised, you're not getting better, and you're painfully, slowly dying a little more each day - might it be okay?

Your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. From your unique perspective, I'm sure you have a little more understanding of the terminally ill. But I bet if you spent more time with teens and young adults who are at risk for suicide you might be able to sympathize with them as well. I'm glad the Lord gets to make the call and not me. And I hope I never find myself in the situation where I would see suicide as desirable.

    ReplyDelete