Couple weeks ago I had the opportunity to speak in sacrament meeting - I thought I'd go ahead and post my talk here.
One
of my favorite TV quotes is from Stargate Atlantis when Sheppard is
telling Dr. Weir that “it's the right thing to do; why? Because it
it.” Oddly enough this explains what I do a lot of the time – it
was very relate-able. Now I ask you, what does this have to do with
General Conference? I'll tell you. During the first session of
conference on Saturday, Elder Craig Christensen spoke about the Holy
Ghost and how its the “Unspeakable Gift from God,” it's more of a
feeling you can't explain rather than a voice that teaches us the
things we should do. This topic is very near and dear to my heart
because the last 17 months have been...incredible – I've learned
things in ways I never would have learned had the Lord not seen fit
in his mercy to teach me, He has comforted and guided and has been so
incredibly patient, He has sent people, inspiration and guidance when
I needed it the most.
First
- what is the mission of the Holy Ghost?
Quoting
straight from Elder Christensen's talk:
The
Holy Ghost works in perfect unity with Heavenly Father and Jesus
Christ, fulfilling many important roles and distinct
responsibilities. The primary purpose of the Holy Ghost is to bear
witness of God the Father and of His Son, Jesus Christ, and to teach
us the truth of all things. A sure witness from the Holy Ghost
carries far more certainty than a witness from any other source.
President Joseph Fielding Smith taught that “the Spirit of God
speaking to the spirit of man has power to impart truth with greater
effect and understanding than the truth can be imparted by personal
contact even with heavenly beings.”
I've
heard it described as speaking spirit to spirit, working through
feelings and impressions.
Going
back to his talk:
The
Holy Ghost is also known as the Comforter. During times of trouble or
despair or simply when we need to know that God is near, the Holy
Ghost can lift our spirits, give us hope, and teach us “the
peaceable things of the kingdom,” helping us feel “the peace of
God, which passeth all understanding.”
I
would like to share a personal experience with you if I may –
almost two months ago there was a major restructuring at work, and it
made me feel very insecure, very nervous and very paranoid. And
scared. After I received the news – I immediately started praying.
I explained my problem to the Lord, told Him what was going on and
why I was so upset and after listening to me – He helped me calm
down, whereas before I felt like I could not continue on and my world
was over, He told me that it would be okay, that I'd be fine and that
there was something I was suppose to learn from this experience. I
felt so much calmer and more at peace in that moment, than I had in a
long time – it was like the Lord had reached down and given me a
heavenly hug. Nothing has changed – work is still incredibly
stressful but my ability to cope with it has increased – I know
that I am where I'm suppose to be and that my time is not up, yet.
It
was really cool though because afterwards there was this song that
kept coming to mind and would replay itself over and over again all
day long until I could get into see the bishop that night. It was
very encouraging and gave me the strength to continue on.
Thru
test and trial we’ll have our fears,
But we will not
despair.
We’re here to serve a righteous cause;
Truth gives us
strength to dare.
We’ll love, and learn, and overcome;
We’ll
sing a joyful song,
As Zion’s youth in latter days,
Triumphant,
pure, and strong.
Elder
Christensen goes on to say:
The
Holy Ghost is a teacher and a revelator. As we study, ponder, and
pray about gospel truths, the Holy Ghost enlightens our minds and
quickens our understanding. He causes the truth to be indelibly
written in our souls and can cause a mighty change to occur in our
hearts. As we share these truths with our families, with fellow
members of the Church, and with friends and neighbors in our
community, the Holy Ghost becomes their teacher as well, for He
carries the message of the gospel “unto the hearts of the children
of men.”
The
Holy Ghost inspires us to reach out to others in service. For me, the
most vivid examples of heeding the promptings of the Holy Ghost in
the service of others come from the life and ministry of President
Thomas S. Monson, who said: “In the performance of our
responsibilities, I have learned that when we heed a silent prompting
and act upon it without delay, our Heavenly Father will guide our
footsteps and bless our lives and the lives of others. I know of no
experience more sweet or feeling more precious than to heed a
prompting only to discover that the Lord has answered another
person’s prayer through you.”
Another
experience I would like to share – a couple of years ago, I was in
the MTC with my family dropping off my younger brother for his
mission and my dad leaned over and asked me if I would come home that
summer and get my CNA license, he sited financial reasons and always
having a job but also, that it felt right. It felt right to me too –
so I went home and did it. I often think about that one decision and
the rippling effect it has had on my life – I have been blessed in
more ways than I can count to come into peoples lives and help them
at a time when they needed it, I've been told on numerous occasions
that I have been an answer to prayer – which makes me even grateful
that my dad and I both listened to the Spirit years ago.
Elder
Christensen goes on to say:
We
all have experiences with the Holy Ghost, even though we may not
always recognize them. As inspired thoughts come into our minds, we
know them to be true by the spiritual feelings that enter into our
hearts. President Boyd K. Packer has taught: “The Holy Ghost speaks
with a voice that you feel more than you hear. … While we speak of
‘listening’ to the whisperings of the Spirit, most often one
describes a spiritual prompting by saying, ‘I had a feeling …
’.”It is through these sacred feelings from the Holy Ghost that
we come to know what God would have us do, for this, as stated in
scripture, “is the spirit of revelation.”
In
thinking about ways the Spirit has spoken to me – its through
thoughts and impressions, feelings when I've been driving in the car
(I spend a lot of time in the car), sometimes its when I'm in with a
patient (I'm a hospice CNA, I work with terminal people right before
they die) but it's also when I'm studying the scriptures, praying, at
church, all over – anytime anywhere.
I
was having a tough day at work a while ago and a series of scriptures
from the Old and New Testament were coming to mind:
Peace
I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth,
give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be
afraid. But Zion said, The Lord hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath
forgotten me. Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should
not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet
will I not forget thee. Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of
my hands; thy walls are continually before me. And he answered, Fear
not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them.
And Elisha prayed, and said, Lord, I pray thee, open his eyes, that
he may see. And the Lord opened the eyes of the young man; and he
saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of
fire round about Elisha. (John 14:27, Isaiah 49:14-16, 2 Kings
6:16-17)
The
Lord knew what I needed to hear because He knows me and knows “the
thoughts and intents of our hearts. He loves us and wants us to be
happy, and since He knows the challenges
we will face, He can guide us and teach us all things we must do to
return and live with our Heavenly Father once again.”
Early
last fall – I was having a terrible day. I had a pounding headache.
I hadn't eaten anything all day, and I was hungry. I was stuck in
traffic, my car was over heating. I was late to my next appointment.
And the sun was shining much too bright. I was fuming in my car and
was complaining and muttering to myself. Finally it was like a voice
had said, “Stop.” It took me by surprise because I was all alone
in the car and it was like an audible voice. I was still perturbed
and was rather snappish in my mental reply, “What?” A very calm
soothing reply “What's the problem?” I explained about my
headache, and how I hadn't eaten, and being stuck in traffic and the
sun shining too bright. After each problem, the Spirit was like
“Can't do anything about it, move on.” At the conclusion of this,
I realized that there's not a lot I can control, the only thing I can
do is control how I respond to it. It was like a lightbulb had gone
off and I was like “ohhh” I felt the Lord gently laughing at me
that day – I think about that a lot when I start over-reacting and
getting upset at traffic and my car and life in general.
One
last scripture, 1 Kings 19:11-12:
And
he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the Lord. And,
behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the
mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the
Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the
Lord was not in the earthquake:And after the earthquake a fire; but
the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.
I
know that these things are true – that the Lord speaks to us in
ways we'll understand, whether that's an impression, a scripture or
hymn coming to mind, a song on the radio or through someone else. I
know that the Lord is aware and loves us very much. I know that the
scriptures are the word of God, I'm grateful for the opportunity we
all had to listen to General Conference a couple of weeks ago. I know
Thomas S. Monson leads and guides the church today and is the Lord's
mouthpiece in moving His work along – I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment