Work has been so incredibly stressful
lately – the week before vacation my stomach was in knots, my neck,
shoulders and back were killing me and then I left for vacation and
was completely relaxed the entire time and then I came back and two
weeks later my boss was fired. And it's been an extremely interesting
week.
In January the owner of the company told the DON to fire our
DSC, then the existing VP was demoted to DSC in the SLC office – a
new VP was hired, then our social worker quit to go back to school,
our DSC quit, a new one was hired, another company bought us and
we're in the midst of this merger, our new social worker quit, our
lead marketer quit and our DON got fired. The new DSC is running the
SLC office but she has not a clue what she's doing and is in way over
her head. It's turned into a soap opera. The VP is hanging out at the
SLC office to train the DCS and both of them are yelling and swearing
at everyone in the mean time – they're really good at criticizing,
belittling and condemning in front of the entire office and before
they have all the facts. Their mentality seems to be that if they
haven't got you either in tears or second-guessing yourself before
the day is out, then they have failed. I don't know what their
objective is but it is not cool – it's getting rather ugly, every
time you go into the office it's like you're walking on eggshells.
You stay at the office long enough to get done only what needs to be
done and then you leave as soon as possible – otherwise you risk
getting yelled at just because you're there. “Off with Your Head!”
What was great about our DON was that
he had our backs and he was the buffer between us, the owner and the
VP – he ran the gauntlet for us. He trusted us, we trusted him –
he backed us up and empowered us to make decisions, think outside the
box and bend the rules as necessary to get the job done. Now it's
completely opposite.
One of the aids had hurt her back and
has been unable to work, this is the second week now – she's
cleared for light duty but the VP wont let her come back, she told
her to go home – and we don't know when she'll be allowed back. So
in the mean time, I'm covering her patients and mine – never mind
that the semester started up again and I have classes to prepare for.
Last week I worked over 60 hours. I wish I could say no but I can't –
for one thing there is no one else available and I have bills to pay,
we are in the midst of hiring a couple of new people though – I
don't know when they start or if they'll make it through orientation
(we had one quit before she even started and another quit as soon as
she got her first patient).
There are seven aids plus me, well
eight actually. Two are PRN and currently unavailable, four are
part-time and have minimal availability, one is full-time but is out
on R&R, I'm technically part-time because I'm in school but I
work full-time hours and the other aid is our TC and she's been
filling in as needed but then that leaves no one in the office –
we've been borrowing a HomeHealth aid to make up the difference but
she's super busy with her own patients. Two of our aids have been
banned from various facilities – we've been told that if we send
them again the facility will pull our patients and put them with a
different hospice. I don't think they'll actually fire any of us just
because then we'd get unemployment but what they will do is change
our status to PRN and then only give us one or two patients a week.
Some facilities have flat out refused to give us referrals or work
with us again because our DON got fired.
I think thats a little extreme – I
think you should try to work with the new DCS before saying “No I'm
not working with you” but obviously I'm only getting part of the
story, so, what's really going on here? What is the underlying issue?
Part of me wants to stick it to the man and quit and the other part
wants to see if I can work for these women – as it currently stands
though I do not trust nor do I particularly like either one of them.
But I'm not a quitter and I'm not one to just turn tail and run when
the going gets tough – I'm not the type to say I can only work for
one person and one person only. Though truth be told, the DON was the
main reason me and others stayed – now my residents are the reason.
We're going through a trial period where we're seeing if this is
going to work, and if not, then we'll seek opportunities else where.
Good luck figuring it out. Having to work with difficult people is no fun. I would recommend finding a new job before quitting this one, but then there is always the struggle of the prospective employer calling your current one and getting you in trouble with both. I hope things get better for you soon!
ReplyDelete