Saturday, March 5, 2011

Is it the Weekend Yet?

... it is but there will be no rest for you.

This week my month and a half long contract with the benefits and HR PEO ended - it was fun, I learned a lot and left with a good review. And because of it I am a lot more comfortable on the phone requesting information that I don't have and finding stuff on the computer - this will come into play later on.
I'd gotten a call from one of the temp agencies I'm working with and got a new contract starting Tuesday - so I went right from the previous contract ending to the next starting. For me it was a relief because not knowing when I'll next have work is always a bit of a concern. This contract is a part time gig 10 hours a week and pays better than the previous one. I'm doing just general filing and organizing right now. Being part time though, I have lots of time to do other stuff - like interviews and work elsewhere.
I had an interview with a medical research company - it would also be part time but I'd be helping with health studies and data entry. They'll tell me next week either yes or no - I would love to do it simply because I love research.
I had a working interview in Park City at a dental office - I loved that so much. The area is amazingly gorgeous, the office was fun and exciting and the manager seemed to like me. There's still two more weeks of interviews so I won't know for a little bit - but that job would be a really good fit. The guy who is leaving whose place we're all interviewing for said that the previous two interviewees were rigid and stiff but that I was friendly and personable and jumped right into the phones calling people and scheduling them on the computer - they hadn't done that. Point for me! Thank you PEO temp! That's what I did while temping at the PEO. He also said that before they hired him he did working interviews for two weeks before finally telling him yes - so it may take a while but they will respond. I just hope that if it's the job the Lord has in mind for me that the other interviews don't go as well and they remember me.
And finally event staffing - I was at a soccer game one night, the convention center another, back to the convention center all day yesterday and then back again tonight. Between everything I've had one if not several things going on every day/night - I've been busy. The soccer game was fun and we won so that means we'll have another game in two weeks - which'll be good. At the convention center they have a BBQ Expo going on where companies from all over come and show off their stuff - space heaters, grills, furnaces and the like. Very long and boring. I was by a loading dock Wednesday night for five hours pacing back and forth and then Friday I was there for 11 hours checking badges and pacing and tonight I'll be there for another five hours, pacing. The exercise is good but my feet are killing me and my shins hurt. My shins hurt because Tuesday night when I was at the game my instep starting bothering me so I was bouncing on my toes trying to relieve it and it don't work. My instep hurts because I don't have support in my shoes - I thought they did in the store but evidently not. And the insoles I bought aren't helping either. It's been funny though because Wednesday night I was very bored, my feet were killing me and I was tired - at that point I had two hours left - my area lead came up to me, I gave him a half smile and we started talking and he told me that I was like the only one happy to see him and be there, everyone else had told him to go away and leave them alone till the shift ended. Having a sour attitude wasn't going to speed it up any - even if I don't want to be there I try to enjoy myself and make the best of it. Friday at the convention center I not only got an invitation to frisk someone but I also got offered wine. Sweet! I was talking to some of the people and my area lead told me to stop flirting with the locals - but it's so much fun and lightens an otherwise long, boring day. I ended up talking to a vendor for a little bit and it was just so random - he was bored. And I learned something from this.
With hardly any encouragement at all, the guys at work and such tell me all about their wild days and more about themselves than I ever wanted to know but the guys in my ward won't really talk to me beyond pleasantries . It's ironic. And entertaining. And a little sad.
And I am getting to know the Valley really well - I still print out directions for where ever I'm going but we are definitely exploring and on the move. In addition to filling out applications online through Monster, LDS Employment and such and going to interviews, I'm working through a temp agency in Salt Lake and one in Bountiful - the one in Taylorsville hasn't ever gotten back to me. These interviews and temps have taken me from North Salt Lake, to Murray, Taylorsville, Salt Lake, Sandy, Park City and Provo.

No comments:

Post a Comment