Friday, June 26, 2009

Caught in the Middle...

So I got back from Blackfoot, Idaho about three weeks ago this coming Sunday. I had my job waiting for me at the nursing home - which was good. But the owner decided he didn't want to pay anyone over time so he cut all our hours - I work three 12 hour shifts, so 36 hours a week. Having four days off isn't a good idea - I'm so used to the go-go-go that having scads of free time on my hands, I have no idea what to do with myself. I am more productive when I have no free time.

That, and I was looking over my finances and it's not looking so good - not earning any money for the first two months of summer break put me very far behind as far as saving money for the coming semesters. So, I got a second job - over at the other nursing home. Which is funny because we don't like them and they don't like us - our reasoning, poor management and lazy employees. The thing is you're going to find crappy management and lazy employees where ever you go - even in your own facility. I think it's rather rude that we're all lumped together like that but whatever.

When I first started working at the other nursing home, my sister was like "don't mess up, whatever you do reflects on me." News flash - it reflects on me, you and my other nursing home.

That being what it is - at my nursing home I'm working four 10 hour shifts, I moved to the showers - they have a consistent schedule, I get paid a little bit more and it saves everyone else from having to work in the showers. No one really likes working in the showers because you get drenched - hello! you dry, it's not like you can't get wet. Come to think of it - whenever they get around to doing my yearly review I should be getting a pay raise too, which is about a month over due. It is funny though, I got the year pin and certificate that says "Congratulations you've worked for us for a year!" and of that year I've worked about a total of four months.

Not the point, the point is I'm working a consistent schedule at my nursing home which then enables me to work a consistent schedule at my sister's nursing home - three nights and a morning week. I have most of three days off so it's not that bad. Between the two I'll be working 76 hours a week and if I do it just right, I'll have enough money for the coming semesters.

Without my residents, I would have a very boring summer - old people say the darnedest things and get away with it. Of course you have the drama and the politics but it's good. The two facilities are different, one isn't better than the other, they're just different and different leads to more well rounded experience.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure 76 hours is very tiring - at least it's just for a couple of months. And I'm sure Jared and Jena can relate to work weeks that near 80+ hours. Oh well - you do what you have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob's probably got a few months of those as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're in a great position to realize that rivalries aren't actually based on anything...

    ReplyDelete